Return to DeepFieldFilm.com

Virtual Choir 5 Community Forum

Meet the Choir. Why did you join Virtual Choir 5?

Welcome back Gene! I remember you as a dominant presence in VC4. They’ve gotten past a lot of the “technical issues” this time for VC5. No more having to figure out how to compress your video file small enough to meet the size requirements for uploading. I used to try to offer some “unofficial technical support” for those not knowing where to start. Nothing more for me to do this time but sit back and watch. I’m another one of the “oldsters”. It’s probably a good idea to have at least a couple of us older folks signed up here just to help keep these “exuberant young singers” in line. Hope to see you back for “VC6”!

Yeah, right? I attended a rythmic choir course with Anders Edenroth two years ago :slight_smile:

Hi! I joined in VC4, which is when I found out about all of this deliciousness. Has it really been 5 years? That’s way too long! Back then I was care giving my parents and they were asking what I was doing downstairs because they could hear me and they were curious. I was so awestruck by the final result. I am so blessed that they both got to hear it. They are gone now.

Singing is definitely my most cherished medicine. It is a special kind of bliss to be able to contribute to a virtual choir and be creating with the world of voices. Gives me chills.

I’m currently in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

Blissings, Anny

Hi, I’m Amy and I have been a singer since I could talk really. I’ve still got some really old tapes of me and my mom singing oldies together when I was about 4, lol. I love love love making music with my voice. I was in choirs throughout my school years, took 6 years of private lessons starting from age 12, and in high school a great choir teacher finally figured out that I wasn’t and alto, I was really a soprano in hiding, lol! I was so shocked to go from alto 2 to sop 1 in one semester… But ultimately I’m glad I did. Finally figured out I had a strong, clear head voice and ended up going to All-State choir my senior year as a soprano and ultimately getting my BA in Music as a lyric soprano. After college, I began singing in my city Chorale (cschorale.org) as a soprano 2 and there I stay. It’s been 10 years this year!

Virtual choir has been… a unique and wonderful experience. This is my third VC of Eric’s, and I was also in the honor choir for Glow at Disneyland. I love the people I have met (especially Gene Waddle, a central person in all of my VCs and now a personal friend on Facebook), and sharing such a special experience with so many from around the world that I never would have met otherwise. My heart dances when I hear there’s another virtual choir starting and I get positively giddy. I’m so glad to be here with all of you, doing what we love. <3

Hi there! My name is Sara and I am a soprano from Florida. I’m currently enrolled at USF in Tampa as a Music Education major. I’ve been involved in choir since the fifth grade, and have fallen in love with it more and more each year.

Most recently, I had the honor to be a part of the Master Chorale of Tampa Bay where we did Verdi’s Requiem alongside The Florida Orchestra :heart_eyes: as well as many other things this season , and we (USF’s choir) just got back from performing The Creation at Carnegie Hall under the direction of Dr. Bruce Chamberlain!

When I found out about the VC , I had missed the last project they had done by about a month and have been waiting ever since for a chance like this to happen again. And now it has! AND it combines music and space (which are things that I could study and talk about endlessly)! I’m so grateful to be a part of this experience with all of you, and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! :blush:

Heyo Jason!
My name is Sara, and I just wanted to say welcome back home to the choir world. :yellow_heart:

I understand your situation. In 7th grade, I struggled to pull myself out of an ED (sometimes it still gets a little bad, but I’m a lot better than I used to be), and tried to cope with developing anxiety issues despite personal and home issues. When I was in high school I was in an incredibly rigorous academic program. I averaged around 3 hours of sleep for four years, and when I was 16 I got into a car accident that left me with chronic pain in my neck and back accompanied by migraines! Fun stuff! In my senior year, I woke up one morning and I couldn’t feel my arms. Long story short it took five doctors and a bunch of tests to tell me that I have a bulging disc in my spine that puts pressure on the nerves in my arms as a result of that accident. I lost an entire 3 months of my life to debilitating anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. I couldn’t leave my room.

The only thing that really kept me going at that point was choir. It is also the reason why I am very much still intact after that period in my life. This is why I wanted to reach out and just say thank you.

Thank you for being open about things that not a lot of people are willing to talk about in fear of stigma. Thank you for reminding me of why I want to be a choir director. Music can provide comfort to people when there is nothing else in the world that can soothe a soul, and if it helped people like you and I, the best thing I can do with my life is offer that comfort to another person.

Lastly, thank you for joining us on this wonderful virtual choir journey. Keep your head held high, and best of luck this school year!

Hello! My name is Cade Whitlock and I’m from small town Weirsdale, Florida. I worked with Eric Whitacre my senior year (just last year) at the University of Jacksonville with professor Cara Tasher. Since I graduated, I’ve found it difficult to find choral opportunities to participate in, and I just wanted to thank Eric Whitacre for giving me another chance to contribute to something I miss doing dearly. My mom also threatened to kick me out if I didn’t sing for this because her parents attended the launch of the Hubble telescope. Universe has a funny way of making things come full circle? Or 1/1.618?

Hello! I am thrilled to be involved with this project. Virtual Choir is one of the coolest concepts I have ever seen. I grew up in central Minnesota but have called Southern California home for years. I have been singing my entire life, in elementary school, through middle and high school, college, and with two community groups as an adult. I worked with private vocal instructors in high school and college, but I put all choral work on hold when my oldest child (now a teenager) was an infant. Hoping to return to singing when my personal and professional commitments (middle school teacher, here) aren’t quite so demanding, VC5 and our upcoming Big Sing California are perfect little projects to keep my voice warm. So excited to be part of VC5!

I was a part of VC4 and WOC as well as other side VC projects but this one is special to me. I lost my father this March to Glioblastoma. He was a middle school math and science teacher but long before he entered the classroom he was teaching me about the stars in our backyard. I see him in every clear night sky, every constellation. I am doing this particular project for him. :heart:

Hi! I’m guessing you’re using windows 10 on your laptop? Because I had that same problem. What you need to do is go to [Start >Settings >Privacy>Camera and then turn on “Allow apps to access your camera”]

If you have a separate microphone, do the same but just go to microphone instead of camera :smiley:

Hope this fixes your problem (if you hadn’t already figured it out.)
,Yvonne

Hey Mary,

and because of the forums in past VCs and VC Friends, we have been able to see each other in person and the best part sing together with Eric twice! :smile:

Colette, It would be a loooooooooong list for sure! :smiley:

Woo Hoo, Synne! We met just a few weeks right after VC4 was released. I still remember those Bliss Berry Pancakes. Funny about the Real Group is there were in NYC singing in a concert the same day we sang at Carnegie Hall with Eric in April. My sister in law came in for my concert in the afternoon, and then went to Real Group in the evening. :smiley:

Hi everyone! This is PJ from Philippines. I’m not really that much of a good singer but I can tell that my voice is for the bass parts only. I was also part of the VC4 and let me tell you that I still feel that same tension and excitement when doing this. Kudos! :smiley:

USF is also my alma mater. Many happy days with Robert Summer and the Master Chorale :slight_smile:

On the first day of first grade I was seated next to a poster of the Solar System on the wall. I couldn’t stop staring at it, so at some point the teacher stopped and explained that we were on Earth, and that we were part of a Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy and a larger Universe. My little mind was permanently blown. I felt the same way when I saw Eric’s Virtual Choir 1 and wished to be a part of this Universe ever since. What an amazing opportunity we have to connect with each other across time and space. Looking at all of your photos and where we all come from makes me cry with DEEPEST JOY. I am thrilled to be included in this shining field of stars!

Hi its great to be involved. Its great that Eric does this and allows singers of all abilities to sing from all over the world as a community choir.

Hi, my name is Chris, I’m 23, Bass/Baritone Singer from England. I got introduced to virtual choir by my singing teacher and I’m actually rather excited to be doing this. For me this is the first of what I hope to be multiple virtual choir experiences.

I usually sing swing stuff on my own and some original works too or I take part in the local Rock Choir! I find singing is one of my biggest pleasures, there is nothing that makes people feel more than music!
I also have a YouTube channel in which I share my music and a new channel in which will soon be talking jargon! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8J46nzduOib7yZczo4tCUg?view_as=subscriber

I am from Sweden and i first noticed the piece “Water Night” and thought it was amazing! WOW!!! Then Vc4 came up and i then absolutely became a part of the Vc4.
And now it is the Vc5! I am really exited about to be a part of this piece of art! :grinning:

I’m Daniel, originally from Venezuela but living in Thailand right now. I am a Tenor and I have been singing in choirs since I was 15. I’m so excited of being part of this amazing global project and putting our voices together with Eric. Can’t wait to see and listen to the final result!!!